Just finished my first full day here at the school and things went rather well. It was exhausting with the 5th and 6th graders, but things are getting better. I am perfectly clear in my thoughts on why I never wanted/want to teach elementary or middle school.
But on the other hand, my 11th grade (Senior) class surprized the heck out of me today when I went in there. It was my first class to teach (ever in my life...) and I was a good bit nervous before I went in, but at the same time I was glad to be dealing with older students first. Things went well until I mentioned that I was planning on having them read the whole New Testement during the year. I was prepared to explain to them how short it was and how it will be an easy read, especially since I'm letting them read it in Spanish. But that wasn't their complaint! They complained that they always study the New Testament. I quickly asked them what they would like to learn and they started in listing things. I was pumped! The want to learn about Revelation, the History of the Israelites, ect. Just the fact that they want to learn anything has me more than pumped! I'm excited. I mentioned to them that I would consider having them read through the entire Bible, but that I wasn't ready to drop the New Testament for the Old just yet... and they were cool with that! That deffinitely knocked my socks of!
...So whether the other 11th grade class is as excited about it as they are or not, we're going to have fun and we're going to read the whole thing. I know it's a big bite to chew, but it's really not all that bad. I'm going to keep from giving them any other homework during this time (though I never told them that) and in reality, they are only going to be reading around 38 chapters a week. Of course that sounds like a ton, but it's really not all that much. Divide it by 7 and you have less than 6 a night. Which is extremely light reading when compared to reading some other novel over a month or War and Peace over the course of a year... Not bad at all. Without a doubt, I'm excited. I really am.
In all reality, I'm more excited about Bible than I am about Music. I would love to teach them so much in music, but it's just dissapointing thinking about how much they know right now. And the fact that they're not separated at all into levels of knowlege is even worse. I have pianists right allongside people who can't seem to keep a steady beat or match pitch up a scale. Right now, general knowledge of the Bible seems to be a much more tangible goal than starting a choir.
Henoch (his name is from the Bible-->Enoch), the guy who teaches elementary music here, is all excited about the choir for the Bilengual school competition, and I am too, but he's all ready to bite off a huge 8 part peice (Great is thy Faithfulness) and try to learn it, and the more I get to know the students and the fact that they really can't read music yet... the more I begin to wonder... am I here for Bible or Music? I don't know.
Apparently the Choir can be auditioned, but I still don't know if we'll find many students at all that can read music. I'm also at a loss as to how to make music fun with simply making music isn't quite yet possible! Ugh. I wish they already knew more. I wish I better knew how to break things down. I feel confident that I can teach (i.e. break things down) for students who know more... but I'm still unsure how I'll manage breaking things down so far that even I can't understand the relation of the minute part to the whole. I guess we'll have to see. So much to do...
I hope all is well with my blogging fan base (however minute that may be ;-).
Adios!
But on the other hand, my 11th grade (Senior) class surprized the heck out of me today when I went in there. It was my first class to teach (ever in my life...) and I was a good bit nervous before I went in, but at the same time I was glad to be dealing with older students first. Things went well until I mentioned that I was planning on having them read the whole New Testement during the year. I was prepared to explain to them how short it was and how it will be an easy read, especially since I'm letting them read it in Spanish. But that wasn't their complaint! They complained that they always study the New Testament. I quickly asked them what they would like to learn and they started in listing things. I was pumped! The want to learn about Revelation, the History of the Israelites, ect. Just the fact that they want to learn anything has me more than pumped! I'm excited. I mentioned to them that I would consider having them read through the entire Bible, but that I wasn't ready to drop the New Testament for the Old just yet... and they were cool with that! That deffinitely knocked my socks of!
...So whether the other 11th grade class is as excited about it as they are or not, we're going to have fun and we're going to read the whole thing. I know it's a big bite to chew, but it's really not all that bad. I'm going to keep from giving them any other homework during this time (though I never told them that) and in reality, they are only going to be reading around 38 chapters a week. Of course that sounds like a ton, but it's really not all that much. Divide it by 7 and you have less than 6 a night. Which is extremely light reading when compared to reading some other novel over a month or War and Peace over the course of a year... Not bad at all. Without a doubt, I'm excited. I really am.
In all reality, I'm more excited about Bible than I am about Music. I would love to teach them so much in music, but it's just dissapointing thinking about how much they know right now. And the fact that they're not separated at all into levels of knowlege is even worse. I have pianists right allongside people who can't seem to keep a steady beat or match pitch up a scale. Right now, general knowledge of the Bible seems to be a much more tangible goal than starting a choir.
Henoch (his name is from the Bible-->Enoch), the guy who teaches elementary music here, is all excited about the choir for the Bilengual school competition, and I am too, but he's all ready to bite off a huge 8 part peice (Great is thy Faithfulness) and try to learn it, and the more I get to know the students and the fact that they really can't read music yet... the more I begin to wonder... am I here for Bible or Music? I don't know.
Apparently the Choir can be auditioned, but I still don't know if we'll find many students at all that can read music. I'm also at a loss as to how to make music fun with simply making music isn't quite yet possible! Ugh. I wish they already knew more. I wish I better knew how to break things down. I feel confident that I can teach (i.e. break things down) for students who know more... but I'm still unsure how I'll manage breaking things down so far that even I can't understand the relation of the minute part to the whole. I guess we'll have to see. So much to do...
I hope all is well with my blogging fan base (however minute that may be ;-).
Adios!
10 comments:
Jason, hang in there with the music students, it will take time, but it'll come along before you know it.
About your "seniors"--that's awesome!!! I have a lot of really good notes about parts of the OT from when I was a school of religion major (not saying that you don't know your Bible or anything...I just know how helpful it is to already have things outined, etc.).
I'm glad you're doing well!
Thanks Gwyn!
Actually, I was just reminded yesterday that the 10th and 11th graders have a curriculum to cover. Boo for curriculum... I'm going to see what we can do with that though. We'll have to see. They're still going to read the whole thing... it will probably just mean that's the only homework I'll give them...
We'll see. ;-)
Random Q...how long does/should it take to get fom school to Huntsville?
Gwyn: 2-1/2 to 3 hours. There is a cheap gas stop (usually several cents cheaper) at EXIT 169 just W of Chat, TN. Remember time zone change from Eastern to Central DST.
I want to agree with Henoch--go for it; aim high. You will be surprised at what the kids can attain. But I agree with you too. Eight parts is a stretch. Do you have at least 8 sight readers—one for each of the parts? Consider grouping a few non-readers around strong musicians that they can "follow" on a particular part. Try your best to make the best placements of where they stand or sit for rehearsal, and then make small adjustments, as needed. For many years I was not a strong vocal music sight-reader--still not so great. But I have had the opportunity to stand by someone else who knew the music well or was really quick to pick up the tune. Stronger students may have the leadership ability to lead sectionals as you watch over them (another tough decision). As the section learns a difficult portion, mix everyone around so everyone has to "stand alone" away from their section leader, outside of their comfort zone. Also use this technique of mixing the choir members away from their sections, later as you draw nearer to time of performance. Be careful how you respond, this should help build their confidence in themselves. Students who do not read music can begin to follow the bouncing ball of dots on a staff. They do not have to know the name of the note to begin “reading” music. You will get little windows of opportunity to teach a wee bit of theory. They won't "know" you are teaching music theory and you will all have fun learning.
Another point (I’m full of it today)I hope you understood what I was trying to say in my last comment. It was not so well worded.
OK here's my other thought: Remember, I think I told you of a choir director Mommy and I had in the Jonesboro church who claimed she could not read music, yet she helped us learn our parts using her hand to point at relative height of tone as she rehearsed a section. That is not a good technique to use continuously. But it is helpful in some rehearsals to reinforce/reassure music memorization.
I've got the day off (Labor day) so here I am giving you lots of comments! Enjoy for what they are worth, from a music ed major who never taught school and directed very few choirs.
Love, Dad
Dad, actually I think those are good ideas. I guess I'm just wary of starting a choir before very many of them can read music at all... but I think those are good ways to make it happen. I forgot that church choirs around the world have been performing week after week without ever knowing how to read music. Of course, I would deffinitely want to keep from leaving them that way..., but it's not such a bad way to start.
We'll have to see about the section leaders though. In high school, they were only helpful once we got out of ninth grade and even then, every section leader had a keyboard to work with. Here, they finish music class at ninth grade (Dep. of Ed. doesn't find it necessary :-( and we also don't have more than one keyboard. :-(
But learning will nevertheless triumph!!! ;-)
Gwyn... Dad telleth de truth.
Why you going around that way; what brings you so deep into the wonderful, glorious South?
I was actually just out driving on Sunday and ended up there--and looked at my map and thought that I had found the best way back, but wanted to check on how long it should take...I think I did a good job.
Wow... not exactly your leisurly (sp!?) Sunday afternoon drive...
Did you have fun?
Post a Comment