Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Uniforms and "Music Literacy"

My weekend was fairly non-eventful.  We went to a different market that was not very spacious, but deffinitely had much to chose from!  It had just about everything the first, larger market had, but it was just in a much tighter space.

My Mom was writing about choir uniforms at Grissom and stuff and it made me think about my soon-to-exist choir here; they wouldn't even need uniforms because the school already wears them, so they deffinitely wouldn't have to do anything extra.

Uniforms are thought of very differently down here.  In the States, no one likes them.  Everyone is an individualist and would generally not wear a uniform of any kind.  Even if it's something as simple as jeans and a matching shirt, you'll have trouble getting everyone on board unless they really like the group that they are involved with.  Here it's just the oposite.  Uniforms of any kind show that the person belongs to some sort of group.  You generally don't ask your student base to wear a uniform... they ask you to provide them with some uniform to buy.  They (generally) want to wear one... even if it's something as simple as a Pizza hat and polo, or a maid's vest... everyone is generally "uniform friendly".  People may forget to wear their uniform, or they may not have a clean one today, and every once in a while you have someone who would like to be different (or generally stubborn about anything), but mostly there's no problem.  I would like to have a choir that wears something special, but I don't have to worry that they won't already look the same.  And it's also nice to know that I don't have to worry if I do find something else for them to wear... most of them would be pretty warm to the idea.  Pretty cool, I think.  (at least from this top side of things).  Maybe I'd be against uniforms if I were on the student's side, but from this side, it sure is nice to know that most of them like them!

Talking about Grissom Choir gets me wishing...  I sure hope I can teach these kids how to read music fairly quick!  I want to teach them so much about music and making good choral sounds, but it seems like it all hinges at the moment on their ability to read!  If I can just get them to read basic music and to follow a melody line, then I think I'll really have accomplished something.  I would really feel bad if I taught them a song (some choral song) without at least most of them being able to read music.  Of course their will always be mistakes, but even making tons of mistakes is vastly different from not knowing how to begin at all.

Well, thats how things are in Honduras... ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that once you get them singing, teaching them to read music won't be quite so hard.