Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Re: birthday

YEA!!!

Thank you so much Mom! Actually, I was just thinking about saving money yesterday and trying to figure out how much I had and how much it would take to save up for some specific things. I really want to go to language school next summer (if it's ok with God ;-), and it will be expensive. But if He works it out, I might just be able to make it there with savings from my salary as well as the couple of personal gifts that I've gotten from some people already. But just so you know, I'm going to save it at least for a little while. If language school ends up getting paid for through some other means, or if I start getting paid a higher salary (which is a VERY big possibility [pray, pray pray!!!]), then I'll see what other wonderful thing this could go towards. Thanks so much Mom!

I just got the check from FUMC this past weekend and I've just sat down and talked with Ms. Godoy about it. God is so good! He couldn't have put me in a better place to start my teaching career. It's so comforting for me to know that I don't have to "waste" time student teaching and building a program over which I will have no control three months for now or in a place that I couldn't do any real long-term good. This is right where I need to be. Ms. Godoy is so supportive of the music program as well (she's the main and only principal now that Mr. Harrison is back in the states at another job). And she's so ready to get this thing on it's feet. When I went in to talk with Ms. Godoy about the check, I also let her know what other money I had to go towards the program. I'll have to be honest: I was a little worried that she might be resentful or that someone might think, "That money would be better used elsewhere; I wish they had just given it to the school and let the school decide where it should be used." But she wasn't like that at all! In fact, it was just the opposite; she was glad it was in my account because she wanted to make sure that it was used specifically on the Music program! It really is a blessing to be here!

I'm still not exactly sure where all this money is going, but I know that if God has provided it, He will show me the place to use it most effectively. And let me tell you, even if $3,400 isn't a lot of money when you think about a $4,000 piano or a $5,000/yr music library budget... $3,400 without a current place to spend it is a whole lot better than having an idea of where to use $500, but no actual money!

Also, I talked with her about getting a band teacher here, because that's really where her heart is. She wants to start a band program at CEAD much like the other ones around town. First of all, let me tell you: it wouldn't be hard at all to be the "best" in town. It would take work, no doubt, but the best in town... nay, the best in the country is really about as good as the best middle school band in Alabama. I guess that's sort of an assumption based on the fact that I've never seen the best middle school band in Alabama, but I dare say it's a safe one nonetheless.

Anyway, I talked with her about getting a band student teacher her even as soon as this next semester, and she's all for it. I was worried that it would be too soon and that the interests would be conflicting (too many music teachers and not near enough money to allow one to teach solely music), but she was all for it. I'm going to start writing some letters to colleges asking for a band student who is ready to student teach. We'll see what comes of it, but I've been given the authority to offer the position since we have a place for them to stay and they would be paying their own plane ticket anyway. I don't know how much they would be prepared to pay as a stipend, but she said it would great to have someone here. Actually... she was eager to have someone here.

Mom, I'm so blessed. Thank you so much for all that you and Dad have done to pay for my time at Lee and stuff. If I had debt right now, I wouldn't be able to be here as a teacher. I honestly couldn't be here doing the work that I know without a doubt God wants me to be doing, if you and Dad hadn't paid for my school in it's entirety. Thank you so much.

Well, I have to go teach!

With all my Love,

Jason Scott Vawter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OKAY, so i'm not gonna lie, that last post was WAY long... i did however save your page to my favorites that way i can check up on you from time to time. hope all is well!

Unknown said...

Ok, identify yourself girl! Which Stephanie are you? I'm guessing the one from Chorale since I'm still not sure if the one from Camp-of-the-Woods knows about this blog yet.

;-)

Anonymous said...

Rest assured that it was God who provided all the way. Your four Grandparents scraped and saved and most of all prayed for you to some day have this experience. Altho we could see by faith what it could be, God has certainly multiplied all we could only imagine. Now that you have seen this day and what God is doing, just think what He will do for you tomorrow and on out in the future. God -- my Provider -- is already way ahead of us opening the way.