Mom,
Thank you so much for the letter and the accrostic! I hope things are going well with you.
Erudite? You really think so? ;-) Ha!
Mom, I'm going to have to be honest with you... I haven't said much about the food because I feel guilt about it. Please don't be insulted right now as I come clean, but I just have to confess: I've actually told a few people that I like it even better than my own mother's cooking.
I know. I'm so sorry. ;-D
I hope you're not too devistated.
The normal food here is called "tipico", and although they always use it as a noun, it actually translates to "tipical", as in the tipical Honduran food. And let me tell you: it's amazing. I could eat it all day long. Although I've been praying that I wouldn't be continually hungry down here, and I think God's helping me out. As far as I know, I haven't gained a whole lot of weight or anything, but that's a miracle as far as I'm concerned. ;-)
There is plenty of fresh fruit and vegitables and you can get all of it that three guys could possibly eat in one week for less than 5 dollars (Lps. 100). By the way, Lps. doesn't have anything to do with a turntable... it's the abreviation for Lempiras.
The best is the avacados!!! Amazing, and they just eat them raw with a meal here. The only problem is that any fruit or vegitable you eat has to be pealed or washed with bleach water in order to remove the parisites. I've been slowly trying to imunizize myself to some degree... and so far I'm not dead, but you might want to pray. ;-)
My roomates and I have decided that although avacados are fattening, any fat you can get from a plant must be the "good" kind. So we continue to feast away. Daniel White (roomy) is a great cook as well, and he has made some awesome food for us since we've been here. Also, our cleaning lady who's the BOMB (Cleo _____) is also an amazing cook and makes some of the best Honduran dishes. The other day she made us some Tilapia that was amazing. I'm not a huge fan of fish, and it didn't help that I got the privalege of watching her clean them (inside and out), but other than that, it was a great meal! ;-)
Well, I want to write more, but I really have to go to class. I love you Mom!
-Jason Scott Vawter
6 comments:
It would be you talking about the wonderfulness of the food that you have around you. Why am I NOT surprised? Huh? Oh well, I miss you, Jason, and in case you didn't get my message on facebook--HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
PS~ Enjoy everything for me...will ya?
I conquer--any fat received from eating fruit can't be too bad for you!
;-)
tipico. tilapia. I like learning a language thru the food I eat. What's that old saying?--the way to a man's heart, thru his stomach? I learned German well enough to say Jagerschnitzel, cordonebleu, pomfritz, spetzi (cola), bratwurst, and my favorite-- currywurst and also to shell out the deutche marks and phenigs to pay for it. Don't ask me to correct my spelling....
Dad, I love you, but I'm pretty sure codon blue (assuming nothing about either of our spelling abilities :-), is a French food.
Like French Fries.
;-D
HA!
You are right. It is French. For your and my edification, dictionary.com says: cordon bleu
5. (of a dish made with thin slices of veal, chicken, etc.) interlaid or stuffed with ham and cheese and then sautéed: chicken cordon bleu.
and dad says "I bet you like it as much as I do. Just imagine the cheese and ham...hhhmmmmm hhmmmm" It's called cordon bleu because it always gets a blue ribbon! I love you.
Mom and I ate a lot of it in Germany.
Post a Comment