Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Talking in Class

So... I think I've figured out a strategy that works so much better!  (as far as talking goes at least)
 
At the end of last week I was not feeling well physically and I was having trouble stopping the talking as well.  You know what I think the main problem was?  I think I was too much of a softy.  Yeah... I never thought of myself as a softy before, but I think I was, or am, but at least I'm changing.
 
My new philosophy is, "I only ask twice".  It's quite simple, but sometimes it's hard for me to follow through.  I may ask the class once to be quiet and then after that, I give "personal invitations" to those who still talk.  Anyone who talks after they've had a personal invitation gets a short paper.
 
This is actually a lot easier for me to follow through with as well.  With the detentions, the kids just don't care, but while they don't think a detention is anything big, I do, which leaves me to feel purposely guilty for giving such a (in my mind) severe punishment when I've only asked twice before.  But in this new program that I've made for myself, it's so much easier.  The first step is a simple paragraph (4-5 sentences) of an apology and an explanation for what they did.  It also gets recorded in the grade book, so if they don't turn it in, they get docked points.  The detention system here is constructed to purposely affect the student's "behavior" grade at the end of the quarter.  And although I won't be giving detentions, this new personal system of mine will also affect the grade.  Depending on how satisfied I am with the apology and it's "sincerity" (which is a very big word for an ESL student), I will forgive them completely and they will get a "good" or "satisfactory" grade for that paper.  However, if the apology isn't satisfactory enough for me, I will give them a lower grade on it, and it will be averaged in with the rest of their classwork.
 
Come to think of it, this could work for "participation" as well... hmm.  I think I'm liking this more and more.  ;-D  **evil and maniacal teacher laugh**
 
;-)
 
Oh come on now... you know you would too...
 
Actually, today was my first day to implement this new little system of mine.  And even though it was the day right before a patriotic holiday, it was my best day yet.  What's even stranger about this was that my last period class got so into playing the game I had for them, that they didn't bug me even once that it was time to go.  I was VERY pleasantly surprised.  Actually... I think 8th B is my new favorite class.  They were so wonderful.  HA... It was great.
 
Let me tell you one more thing that they did.  Many times you have students and teachers coming around to make random announcements during your class, but at this school, it's up to the discretion of the teacher whether or not they want to let someone make an announcement.  My general policy is that teachers can, and students can't.  Unless I'm not busy at all, I don't let students say anything.  Hey... they should be in class anyway.  Well, I had some seniors come around this last period and they knocked on the door.  I was in the middle of something, so I ignored them, but they kept knocking and actually came on in because they thought I couldn't here them.  Well, when I stopped, I asked them to leave and denied them permission to make the announcement.  But since they were so insistent and generally whiny I let my class decide.  I told them I had a game for them, and this would be taking time away from that, but if they wanted to hear the announcement, they could.  "NO!" they roared.  It was awesome!  I was quite flattered, and after I shut the door, I told them they were my new favorite class.  The best part about it was that as soon as I asked them to be quiet (right after their "roar", THEY DID!  I was so amazed.  It was awesome.  Amazing.  Absolutely my best day ever.  (so far at least ;-)
 
So fan-base, anything new happening in your corner of the world?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nothing much is going on in my world...outside of homework and papers and...

Maybe joining a civil war reenactment unit...

Anonymous said...

oh, and you are a softy, Jason, you always have been...

;-)

Anonymous said...

I think that that is an absolutly BRILLIANT idea and that it would work better (hopfully) in the kind of environment that I want to teach in.

You're SOOO a softy...

Anonymous said...

I miss you Jason. That paper thing is a good idea. Maybe I will try that when I start teaching. But just a piece of advice from my student teaching..be careful when you tell a class they are your favorite. I did that and I had even more trouble with another class, which had found out. They became big jerks because they thought I hated them.

But, I bet you are a much better teacher than I was!

Did I tell you I withdrew from Lee until next semester?

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Could that have come from Ranger training?