Friday, August 18, 2006

Nix on the Road Trip

Nix on.... sort of looks like "Nixon" when it's on paper, doesn't it?

Well, I'm starting to read C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. I didn't know this before I started reading it, but it actually wasn't begun as a book, but rather as a series of candid radio talks straight from Lewis himself. I sure would like to hear those! Wow... anyway, he was asked by BBC to try and explain Chrisitanity in a very simple form. As he says, he wasn't chosen because he was one of the best minds of his time but rather because he was completely unexperienced in deep theology (more or less).

Well, in all honesty, in some odd way, his writing style reminds me a lot of Hugh Grant's lines and humor in Two Week's Notice. It's so funny because of how blatent he makes things and how he talks all the way completely around an issue making the other view point seem so "silly" as Hugh Grant might say. It's really good, and I'm only through with "Book I" which as far as I can surmize is about the first three radio shows. Honestly, it's really good. It's a little long, but I can't wait till he starts talking about Christianity; so far he's just been explaining the meaning of the universe. Pretty ambitious, don't you think?! And yet, he doesn it so well... ahh... :-)

Oh well, if you get a chance, read it. And if you have extra money lying around, buy his space trilogy and give it to me for Christmas... I really think it would be as interesting as all get out (nice little Southern slang there).

By the way, all you advocates of the "Real" South: try Honduras for a while. Talk about a wonderful climate! It's been in the 70's almost the entire time I've been here. A few times it might have reached a blistering 80 degrees, but hey, it's all part of the deal.

Oh and pray for me; it's so tough here, suffering for Jesus with the geccos and iguanas and palm trees and cacti and blue skies and... well, you get the point; it's just tough.

;-D

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll show you tough. Well it is good to see you are having a great time and it is also good for me to know that I am the first one to write on this blog. Talk to you later.

Unknown said...

Yea, Greggy left a comment.

;-)

Anonymous said...

C.S. Lewis' writing is pretty awesome.

It sounds so horrible down there, how will you ever last a whole year (please not the sarcasim in that statement).

Unknown said...

I'm not sure... I hope God doesn't ask me to stay here the rest of my life (please note the sarcasm in this past statement) (also also wik: note that I spelled "note" correctly).

Anonymous said...

So I can't spell, so sue me (although I don't have any money, so you won't get anything from the suite).

Unknown said...

That's ok, I guess we're both in the same boat. Neither one of us can spell, and neither one has any money.

;-)