Thursday, August 10, 2006

Re: Miss You!

Hey Mom!
 
I miss you too.  I hope you don't mind, but I figure whenever I send out an informational type email, rather than explain it all again to someone else, I'm just going to use it on my blog.  Keeps me from writing the same thing too many times... and then I don't have to worry who I've told and who I haven't!
 
The "apartment" that I'm staying at is actually much more like a very nice townhouse than an apartment.  It's in a gated community with 24 hours-a-day guard.  It's very nice.  Most places around here have guards, so I guess it's not as cool as it really seemed to me the first time, but hey,  I can pretend...  Anyway, the guys I'm staying with are great.  They're from Wheaton in Illinois I think and they are both very tall.  Actually, I don't know if I've ever felt this short!
 
The apartment is only a few blocks from school and it's in a very nice neighborhood.  I've heard that we're only a few blocks from the president.
 
CEAD is actually giving us a car to use!  And it's not a sad one at all; it's quite nice.  It's a Chevy Trailblazer and it's only a few years old.  Honestly, it's nicer than any of the cars we've got in our driveway.  It's a Speed-the-Light vehicle of course.  We've already taken a trip in it.  We went to Valle De Angeles yesterday afternoon and it was so beautiful!  Everything is so beautiful here.  PS- don't worry, although I so desperately want to drive, I haven't let anyone else know and have been eager to let one of the other guys drive anytime they wish.  Actually, I haven't driven once yet.
 
The food is wonderful!  I would take plenty of time to explain the way it "dances on the pallate" and frolics with the taste buds, but then again I guess you'll see soon enough when you come down and visit me!  ;-)
 
The flight here was great, although I must say that I was quickly "baptised by fire" so to speak in Spanish and that first couple of days between my complete lack of comprehension and the most intense headache I've ever had ( ever), I was almost ready to give up.  Maybe a little culture shock or something... how about language shock?  I didn't realize how little I knew about anything .  I was quite amazed at how quickly I could be shoved into a world where I was almost completely helpless.  Wow...
 
As for the baggage, I was able to "smuggle" in my extra heavy carry-on.  Actually, once I connected with TACA, they told me it was too heavy and that they would have to check it at the gate, but they didn't charge me.  (hahaha!  I win!)
 
What did I forget and wish I had?  SPANISH!!!!  I so desperately want to learn.  And I'm seriously trying to find a tutor who will spend time with me every week for a few hours and help me and give me lessons.  Carolyn, the lady who has been here two years before this as a science teacher (and a "Missionary Assistant"), has one last year.  Actually, she attended the intense, 7 week version of the A/G language school at Costa Rica, but said it didn't help as much as she would have like because within the month following the language school she was in American and forgot most of what she had learned.  She speaks really well as far as I can tell...
 
Well, I Love you very much and I hope things are going well with you and Dad and Stacey.  Sounds like Stacey is having a blast at FAF.  Tell her I said congratulations!
 
And if you get a chance, please come by and check out my blog.  I've made close to 10 posts without anyone commenting at all.  *sniff* *sniff*  It's lonely in cyberspace without someone to comment...
 
;-)
 
Love,
 
Jason Scott Vawter

No comments: