Hey Mom,
YEA! for having a working enter key again!
It's so amazing to me that money is still comming in for this! Wow. God is so good. I'm still not sure about what we're going to do as far as a keyboard is concerned. I would like to totally wait and get something (the right thing) this Christmas, but I'm wondering if I will be able to wait that long. Apparently there is a sort of choir competition around Christmas time between the local bilengual schools. This is really exciting and I can't wait to get involved, but I don't know what the rules are or if I will be able to do it without even a small keyboard. I think I might be able to borrow one from the church or even possibly have music class in the santcuary. I don't know; I guess we'll find out as this goes along.
So I'm starting to wonder about my laptop... is it alive, or did it finally give up the ghost?
I'll try to get with you later about those people who I still haven't been able to write thank-you's for.
The church is very large, although it has a smaller sancuary. There are probably more than a thousand people that attend here at CEAD Church during one of the four weekend services they have. The services are completely in Spanish, but once the usual translater returns from her vaction in the US, there will be regular translation in the 9 o'clock service via little earbuds like our church sometimes gives to the "hearing impaired". I think it will be pretty cool. The church does mostly Spanish Hillsong music (from Australia) and the services are so wonderful. God has really been speaking to me here lately both through personal devotions and also at various special times or "events" that come my way. I know without a doubt that this is where I'm supposed to be. Although I think I'm glad for your sake that the international news has been dominated by the middle east as of late... ;-)
We have done some sight seeing as of late, but not too much. Just stuff in and around Tegucigalpa. There is a little art village real close here and I'm going to be very sad come December if I don't have some money saved up; there are so many wonderful things that I would like to buy and take back to all my friends and family!
It actually lookes like I'll be teaching more middle school than high school now that I'm here. As you already know, there isn't a 12th grade because Hondurans graduate after the 11th. However, apparently the Honduran Department of Ed. doesn't believe it's extremely important for their 10th and 11th graders to have music classes, so I'm only going to be teaching from 5th-9th grades in music. The rest of my time will be taken up in teaching Bible classes (probably to the upper grades [including 10th and 11th]). I'm really looking forward to that!
I haven't met many of the student's I'll be teaching at all, but I think I'll possibly have learned a little bit better Spanish by the time I come back.
By the way, I think I've decided that if I had to choose between having a keyboard/piano and having a computer in my life... even with the versatility and necessity of computers these days, I would still choose a piano. I desperately miss having one around to go sit at and tinkle with! I'm piano deprived.
PS- Although they probably should, no Honduran really has car insurance. They look at it as pointless. And I must say that the mint condition 1997 Speed-the-Light Chevy Trailblazer that the school is letting us drive is quite nice... even with the overprotective and too-eager car alarm!
;-)
Much Love,
Jason Scott Vawter
No comments:
Post a Comment