Thursday, August 24, 2006

Scholastic Observations

Dr. T,

That letter was possibly the most patriotic I've ever had. Long live America! ;-)

I've just created a new blog that can be found at http://jasonscottvawter.blogspot.com. Oh how original and creative I can be. :-)

Our lesson plans for this coming week (all two of them) are due tomorrow, so I'm going to try and finish them tonight... we'll see about that. As soon as they are complete I will post them.

As for extra instruments, a thousand things have been floating through my head. There are so many things that I would like to do and so many possibilities. Apparently the bilingual schools have a choral competition every Christmas, which is making me more and more excited as I think about it. Also, though they're aren't many instruments down here, I have been highly thinking about a sort of impromptu rhythm band of sorts. It would be a lot like Stomp and there is so much opportunity for the kids to learn rhythm this way.

The one thing I really need is a piano or nice keyboard for the school.

I was mistaken about one thing before I came, they have had a music teacher here in the past, but they haven't been very active... he taught a work-from-the-book type of class... many people have complained of the ensuing boredom. Also, there is a music teacher here currently for elementary portion of the school. He's Honduran and although he has haltering English, I'm already enjoying working with him.

The church is most likely going to by a simple keyboard for the music classroom here which will be great this semester. Actually... I have, to use at my own discretion, around $3,400 for this very purpose which has been given to the School through donations I did my best to solicit. I am eager to use it, but I want to buy what will serve the school best, and since there aren't very many music stores here (see my blog on this issue :-), I have been told it might be better to fly one back here when I return after the Christmas break. My bags will be light then and I should have room. I'm wishing for a Clavinova type, but who knows what will happen.

Speaking of which, if you know someone who is looking to "upgrade" their electric piano and wouldn't mind selling a nice used one to a fledgling music school in Honduras... we're definitely looking for one! ;-)

Ok... I guess I need to start working on my lesson plans. So much to do!

Yours in Christ,

Jason Scott Vawter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm just oblivious, but I don't understand why you would start another blog. If you could explain that to me, I would be happy.

Unknown said...

Apparently, not enought people were seeing the first one. I just figured I would get more publicity this way. You know... it's all about the ego.
;-)

(actually, the second is to fullfill the corespondence requirements for the a class that I'm still taking.)

Anonymous said...

Ahh... thank you very much. I was wondering.

Though why your ego would need to grow any larger, I don't know. ;-)