Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Greetings from Honduras!!!

Greeting from Honduras!!!

 

(The three exclamation points let you know it's the third time I've sent one of these informative masterpieces; which makes you wonder what's going to happen when I've sent out 10 or so…)

 

For the usual junk mail disclaimer, please see the bottom.

 

Well here I am back in Honduras; yet another couple of months and Christmas season has passed like a rug right out from under my feet.   Ha.  Anyway, I figured it's about time I reminded all of you that I'm still alive and doing well.  At least some of you will be happy to hear this, I'm sure.  So many great things have happened since I last talked with you, and there are so many blessings for me to tell you all about.

 

First semester at a close

Last semester went off without too much of a hitch.  Towards the end, all the Lee University deadlines started to catch up with me and I almost missed one or two of them.   But I finished strong, and I can now tell my students (with a clear conscience) that I'm fully graduated.

 

Teaching wise, I had made more than a few mistakes last semester, but I'm sure my students will eventually forgive me and forget about that 24 page paper they had to turn in right at the end for their Bible classes.   It's tough completing a paper that long when you're only in the class for 2 hours a week.

 

Graduation

To start off with I had a great graduation ceremony.  For those of you who don't know already; I finally have my official degree and am "all grown up" (if you care to believe such nonsense).   I think what I have is a Bachelors in Music Education (Vocal) Teacher licensure K-12.  I think.  Hey, what does it matter?   The way I see it; I've already got a job, right?   ;-)

 

As a side note, I was honored and blessed with the opportunity to sing at my own commencement ceremony, which apparently isn't something that happens very often at Lee.   It was a very special occasion to say the least.  I sang "O Little Town of Bethlehem," except I sang it in Spanish so the actual title was "O Pueblecito de Belen."  Either way, it was a lot of fun and everybody clapped.  I was glad they did because it would have been really awkward if they hadn't.

 

Family time

After graduation I got to spend time with my family including Grandpa, who sacrificed a lot to make my college education possible.  Speaking of which, I should mention that had it not been for my parents and grandparents on both sides, I would not be able to be here in Honduras because of the college debt that I would have accrued at this point in my life.  Thank you ever so much.

 

On the way back

On my way back here, I was blessed with a $97, one-way ticket here.  Which is a miracle on two accounts: 1) $97 tickets don't exist, and 2) one-way tickets to Honduras don't exist.   Once I arrived it was back to business.  So many things to do and yet… so much time.  It's so nice to be home.  I'm currently writing you from the second story of a Café Mania coffee shop that overlooks the nightlights of the city.   It's so beautiful here; the temperature is a cool 70F, and the night is alive with the hustle and bustle of the city.

 

Please remember me as I continue to suffer for Jesus.

 

Plans and Dreams

Even as I write to you Ms. Godoy, the school's general principal, is in a meeting with the church board giving them an update.  If you're one of the first to read this tonight, pray that while she's there he board will seriously consider (and approve) the proposal for a bell/intercom system for the school.  Thanks to my brother, Greg, for the time and energy that he spent helping us find a system that would work with what we have here and yet be as inexpensive as possible.

 

Another plan that is growing deep roots in my heart is my desire to start an all-city among the bilingual schools here in Tegucigalpa.  Many doors have been opened and are continuing to open right in front of me, but there are many left yet to walk through.  I greatly desire to serve God and this city through introducing its students to a love of choral music and I believe that this could be one of the best possible ways for it to happen.  Pray that God would bless these efforts for His own glory.

 

The semester of Technology

God has richly blessed me this semester with all kinds of technology.  Last semester I didn't so much as have my own computer, but this semester I have so much more at my disposal to use.  God has provided me with a computer and programs and even a wonderful camera.  In fact you can see some of the fruits of this technology if you visit http://picasaweb.google.com/afishymusicmachine.  (I think.)

 

Administration

Out of all the things you could have told me a year ago that I would be involved in… administration would probably be at the top of the list.  God has opened up doors for me to help out here at CEAD Christian School with administrative type things.   So many doors are opening!  (have I already said that?)

 

 

Anyway, I'm excited about all these new venues and such.  If any of you actually made it all the way through this arduously long email… please write back.  I would love to hear from you, and I promise that if you write, I'll write you a much more personal letter in return.  Oh… and for that disclaimer I was talking about: if you'd rather I didn't email you, just let me know.

 
Sincerely yours in Christ,
--
Jason Scott Vawter

No comments: