Dearly beloved!
Guess what I just got nominated for? Of course nomination's not the same as reception, but it's cool in an of itself. I called Ms. Holden yesterday, as per her request. It was my first out-of-country call since I've been here in Honduras. But from what I understand, I have two weeks to find the best way to "sell" myself to the committee that makes the final decisions. As I understand it... this is one of the highest honors at Lee. Go me... ;-)
Although I am highly honored, I always find it funny when one has to write humbly about themselves in the third person. I.E. "Jason is one of the smartest, most talented, and completely gifted people I know." Ha. (Try not to fall out of your seats on that one. ;-) It's an odd opportunity that occurs more than once in the life of your everyday musicians. Musicians are often called upon to write their own biographys for musicals and operas as well. Same sort of deal: "Jason has sung the lead role in 5 musicals and 10 operas during his brief time here on earth. His proffessors have called upon him to give speaches advocating music at national conferences as well as one to the Lee University freshman class during chaple. Jason is highly qualified for whatever you might need him to do; he can play the piano with brilliance, and sightread anything at the drop of a hat, and he has the most lyrical tenor voice one could possibly imagine ever hearing. Many a woman have had their hope cruely dashed to the floor after hearing it and falling immeadiately in love only to find out later that he was never interested in them to begin with."
Oh what farse! :-)
Anyway, I also have good news on other fronts as well. Last night I got a chance to talk with the director for the AFCH, which is the society that supports and guides the philharmonic chorus and orchestra (as well as other things). He shared with me his vision and I share with him mine. He has actually hoped for some time to do the things that I am hoping for. He has worked hard toward this effort but it is not easy holding up an entire organization almost single handedly. However, the good news is that since he has tried similar things before, I am hoping to work with him and learn from what has been done in the past as well as get musical and administrative guidance from him from a more Honduran viewpoint.
The best part is knowing that his desires in this area are the same as mine. He has been working towards the advocacy of music in Honduras (on all levels) for the past 20 years or so, and he actually started AFCH through political grants and other very similar things. It is so nice to know that I have someone who knows more about this than me! I mean, how depressing would it be to be trying to do this all on my own and only have guidance from back in the states? Even if I was in the states I would hope to have someone in the same town I was in from who I could draw wisdom and learning. Right? Well... that's some good reasons to be excited!
Oh... he's also hoping to do Fiddler on the Roof in English with a couple of the schools here!!! I'm so pumped about all this. Jorge Mejia, Lic. is just a sweet guy!
5 comments:
Oh, dear! That's my Jason. Oh Most Learned One, Your Highness, don't forget your spell-check or the committee might not bother to read all about the highly qualified, deeply spiritual, wonderful and humble you.
Not being able to spell... well at least that's one reason to be humble... right?
Alas, I understand the feelings of those women. I too have been turn down by the magnificence that is Mr. Vawter. And, I was turned down before I heard his 'lyrical tenor voice'
Congrats Jason. I'm so happy for you.
Also, Fiddler on the Roof sounds very exciting. Are you going to tell them that you were Teviev (I can't spell either) in high school?
Mal, I'm just surprized that you remembered the name of the character that I played; forget trying to spell it right. Half the time, I can't even remember that guy's name. Ha.
As for being turned down... don't worry about it too much. I was just surprized anyone liked me back then. Flattering really, considering the horrid pubecent state I was in. Ha.
PS. that wasn't a comment on your taste, but rather my looks. ;-)
I'm a musical geek. I think I went to Fiddler on the Roof twice and the second time, you were the lead.
I remember your looks just fine from high school. They were great then and great now. I wish you could've seen it the way I did.
Post a Comment