As for those rumors about me praying "theologically correctly" here's the deal and what my quandary was all about:
I heard a great sermon last night right before I wrote to you. It was not great because of something the pastor did or said, but rather because of what God said to me and showed me. The pastor used three or four different texts, but one of them was from Daniel during the story of "your shack, my shack and a bungalow". We as "modern" Christians are so quick to focus on the first part of the three Hebrew children's answer to the King. You know, the part where they in a valiant, ready-to-die-for-the-cause way say that "the God we serve is able to save us". We even like to focus on the second half of their kingly slap in the face: "But even if he does not". But the part that we modern Christians most conveniently forget is the most powerful and fiery part wedged right in between those to anemic quotes. "and he will rescue us from your hand, O king."
God showed me last night that I am quick to believe in a god that can do anything, but who rarely does anything. It's easy for me to say (believing with all my heart) that "with God, all things are possible." But in practice, I follow it with a quick "but nothing is probable" under my breath. But that's just not how things are supposed to work. I can't have on one hand a belief in a God that can do anything and yet believe that He refuses to do most things. If I'm going to call His power limitless, I have to follow it up with a faith that acts on that belief. The three Hebrew children didn't wait for God to tell them that He was going to save them before they made such an audacious claim. And all the people who come to Jesus in the gospel accounts don't simply believe that He was able... they also had to believe that he would. It was a double faith. It was a HIGH-risk faith; they had a lot to lose emotionally. What would happen if they were believing in the wrong thing? ( i.e. believing in the miracle instead of the Miracle Giver)
And for the past year, I've been thinking the same things. I've been afraid that having faith of that kind was too dangerous emotionally. I mean after all, I had burned myself once already thinking that God was promising something to me that wasn't really mine. I substituted my voice for His and the change was so subtle I never even knew it. That's why I was so badly hurt. And that's precisely the HIGH risk that is involved here. We moderns want some deep assurance that it's actually God's voice that we're hearing, but it's hard to "step out in faith" if it's something that you know so surely. On one hand we criticize Gideon for not believing the first time, but on the other... we don't step out on our own ever.
~Entonces~
So that's what I'm doing... sort of. I'm stepping out in a very HIGH-risk faith that God has "someone" for me and that He is going to send her soon; just as soon as He is done preparing her for me, and me for her. It's HIGH-risk because there is a chance that He wants me to remain single. But it's not something that I am able to consider at this moment. Right now I am calling to Jesus blindly as He passes by and believing that if I can just reach Him, He will intervene in this situation and that my prayers will matter and that they will influence His hand of blessing. There is no room for me to believe that it's possible that this is how He wants me to remain. That type of doubt is even more dangerous at this moment. I'm risking enough as it is.
8 comments:
Thanks for that--I needed to hear the same thing...just in a differet area in my life...
that anonymous thing was for me...sorry....
No prob... :-)
Jason honey - we have been praying for good christian spouses for you kids - all our kids in our circle of friends - for many years. I know God will lead you to the right girl in HIS TIME but don't get in a hurry. I was going to remain single when Bill came into my life when I was 25. Our friend Elizabeth was 31 yrs old when she married Will Umbarger, 25 yrs old. And think of John Carter - he just got married to Cheryl on Labor Day - we have been praying God brings him a good wife for over 10 yrs - he is 46 and she is 40 - they are great together. ALL IN GOD's TIME BUD!!! LOVE YOU MISS BETH
Thanks Miss Beth. I guess I need both sides of the coin.
There are some things that you can't rush. This is one of those things. I understand where you're coming from, though. Everyone around me at Alabama seems to be getting engaged, and I'm beginning to wonder if it will happen for me. I just have to trust that God is working on that special person for me. In the meantime, I pray for my future husband, that he is being prepared for me as I am for him.
*hugs*
FATE takes its own sweet time but it always finds a way. None of you all need to rush into anything. Saw Bethany G., I think too young to have married that German guy.
See the world - experience new things - that way you never had to look back and say "if only". think about the kids who married out of high school or college and stayed in their own community - they missed a lot of life's excitement and for some it is ok but many will later wish they could do things over. LOVE YA MISS BETH
yeah... I'm starting too think that maybe my sudden change there was a little premature... oh well, maybe next time I'll get things right.
Post a Comment