Wednesday, October 18, 2006

!!!!!!PICTURES!!!!!












;-D

Ok, finally.... here are all the pictures I can get to you. If I had a camera (hint, hint) I would try to take more, but as it is, I'm dependant on my roomates to take the pictures, download them to their own laptop, then upload them on their own website before I can ever start to do that exact the same process all over again for my own website.

Anyway... enough complaining, right? Here are some pictures, and I'll do my best to caption all of them that I can... but some of them just wouldn't do you any good because I'd have to be there pointing at your screen for you to see what it is I'm talking about...

From the top and left to right...
#1-I borrowed a camera and took this picture because of the amazing tree in the background. If you look right above Brian's head (orange shirt), you will see a tree limb way behind him that's as big as most tree trunks. This limb extends more than 40 feet away from the main trunk before lessening in size. It's so huge in person, and it's mind boggling to think that it hasn't fallen off it's trunk because of it's weight.

#2- Look out ladies... your prince is here. May I introduce Daniel White on his too short stallion.

#3-Daniel again. This is his camera... he has a right for the pictures to be about him. Besides... I got to frame the photo. It didn't come out quite like I had planned, but oh well.

#4- It's a long way down. Before the archeologists changed the course of the Copan river at the beginning of last century, it came right up to the base of this city's most important buildings due to an ancient earthquake and other natural causes.

#5-Stud muffin Number 1 with the beautiful Carolyn beside him. In the back you can see the king's house: tall and impressive, but very tiny at the top of it all.

#6- An alter carved by the last king (or was it the 13th?). If you can see it, it depicts the first king handing off his septir to the "current" king. It would be better if I could point for you...

#7-The great temple... restored (or at least peiced back together). It would have orriginally been covered with a type of plaster/stucco.

#8-Another side of the king's house (these pictures are backwards cronologically, by the way). If you look at the part that just looks like a pile of rocks... that's what the whole site used to look like when it was found orriginally. No stone was where it belonged. The trees tore through the place once the people left due to a severe famin. (I would venture to say it was a direct punishment from God the Father).

Also, (same picture) if you look at the little door at the bottom, that's actually a door to one of the MANY tunnels underneath the city. All the excavation is now done underground during the dry season (our Spring). There are around 8 km of tunnels. Two are open to the public, but many have said that they are interesting but simply not worth the $12 (that's a dollar sign) intrance fee.

#9-Studmuffin Number 1 again, with his sidekick, Brian Goetsch.

#10-"Wow... they do exist!" And it's so strange to see something alive that's naturaly that brightly colored. It's so impressive to see in person. The Maccaw is the National bird of Honduras and is protected. There were about 10-15 right by the park's gate that just hang around because they are continually fed. It was quite amazing to see them flying around.

#11- In the background is the little Catholic church. It's not that old; only around 1890... but picture worthy anyway. This is the modern day town of Copan. It's just a few miles from the archaeological park.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

those pictures are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Yea for pictures!! Didn't we give you birthday money for a camera or something? I guess they are too expensive down there? Anyway we will take what we can get. Ove you oh so much!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. They are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

OOOOOO!! AAAAAAAHHHH!! O Wow! Super! Fantastic! WhewWhoooo! The pictures are really amazing, fantastic and beautiful. Thanks for taking every bit of time you did to upload.
L ya so much! I'll provide the L since Mom left it off.

Anonymous said...

Those are some great pictures. I wish you could put a picture of Lesly up there. I love that women. Thanks for inviting me to this. It's awesome.