Hello blogging world!
Did you miss me? I hope so. ;-) Sorry for not writing in a while, but things have been very busy with the starting of this new club and all. I've been thinking about a lot of things lately... to say the least. Of course I know that will surprise some of you who thought that and pensitivity (fancy word for thinking) on my part was a rare occurance to say the least. ;-)
The club is going very well for those of you who wanted to know. There are many bumps and roadblocks that need to be smoothed over whenever you start such a grand thing from scratch. But these are being worked through slowly, and it's nothing too unexpected. In general, I'm thrilled that the kids are so excited about it, and more and more things start heading in the direction of a choir. I'm surprised at how many of them are so eager to sing. Boy, is that a blessing!
This weekend me, the guys, and Carolyn are all going to go to see the Mayan ruins at Copan. We've got a long weekend; today's "Friday" for those of us lucky to live in Honduras. I'm not sure what holiday it is, but I'm not complaining! It's so good to be out of college and actually have random, one or two day breaks in the school schedule! (Ha, ha, you college suckers! ;-)
I have been asked many times (it's almost a constant question) how long I plan on staying, and my answer has been the same every time. Below are some of my thoughts on the subject as written in a letter to Pastor Bill Strickland, who is the missionary in charge of all goings on here at CEAD. He's a higher up at AG WM (in charge of something...) as well, and spends most of his time in Springfield, even though he's still a missionary here. He replied fairly... no, very quickly, to my letter. He wants to talk in person, and I'm very excited of the prospects of meeting with him on this issue when he returns at the beginning of this next month. Anyway, the letter is below.
Pastor Strickland,
I pray things are well with you up in Springfield right now! The following is an email that is very important to me, though it is unfortunately long for you to read. If you are better able to read it at some other point when you have more time, I am more than patient to wait for your thoughts in this matter. I thank you for taking the time to read it.
~
I am writing to let you know of my desire to plan for a second year here at CEAD while also to ask for guidance in doing so. The longer I am here, though I realize 2 months is still a very short time, the more my heart is for this place and it's people, culture, and language. I have a great desire to learn Spanish and am strongly considering spending some time at a language school this coming summer. Also, in my many talks with Ms. Godoy and through my limited (though cherished) interaction with the music of this culture, I am realizing more and more of the country's deep need and readiness for more comprehensive training in music, both scholastically (through this specific school), as well as non scholastically (whether through the church's music academy or otherwise). I see a white harvest field for people to be touched and moved towards God by more formal music--both band and choral--and I also know that Ms. Godoy is also greatly hoping to start a band.
During the past few weeks I have also had the opportunity to start a high school music club here with an emphasis on student leadership, percussion, and choral training (my personal favorite). It is because of the natural fragility of a structure such as this coupled with it's immense benefit to the students that I desire to keep teaching for more than a couple years without interruption.
All the above was simply explanation of the issue, but now my question comes to light: I would like to come back for a second (and most likely third or fourth year), but I'm unsure as to how. In speaking with Mr. Turner, Mr. Harrison, and Ms. Veith on the matter, they gave me what advice they could, but then advised me to talk with you.
I understand that I could come back almost indefinitely as a new MAPS assignment every year, and there are benefits to this I suppose. But since I'm strongly considering a longer time, I am hoping you might be able to help advise me about becoming an MA.
I know this seems early to be talking about something this far away, but I am simply hoping to better plan. I will have an opportunity to be back at my home church during Christmas time as I plan to return for graduation from Lee University. This would be a great opportunity for me to either raise money for the music program here or to start raising money for a second year should this be necessary. This is my main reason for talking with you so soon about my return. If you had some time to spare, I would love to sit down and ask questions in a more direct manner, but I figured a long email would better enable you to read and answer in your own time and with whatever appropriate amount of prayer you find needed.
Thank you so much for your time here. Once again, I realize this is almost oppressive in length, but I hope you will forgive me. My heart is here; I am simply looking for guidance in how to plan, should that (planning) even be necessary.
With a grateful and thankful heart,
Jason Scott Vawter
5 comments:
I will be praying for you on this, Jason.
Sounds like a neat plan, Jason - but we will miss you. How is your school on computers? I plan to send Bill on all kinds of mission trips to help missionaries nad their schools with his computer knowledge. For example, the Alaska bible school wants Bill and your dad to come up and set up their computer lab. How many teachers does your school have? Would they pay you or would you have to drum up your own support like missionaries? Of course we are praying for you always. LOVE MISS BETH
Grandpa is learning how to work this comment thing.
I hope everything works out for you in this situation. I'm praying for God to give you wisdom and readable signs so you'll know when you're getting answers.
If you student teach there, do you have to go for the whole year, or just semester?
Jason, what a great letter. Mom and I are praying for God's perfect will in your life. We are excited about the possibilities of you staying in Honduras and in ministry. Of course we miss you, but this blog is helping us.
Post a Comment