Monday, October 16, 2006

Trip to the Mayan Ruins of Copan

So... the trip was great.  After we went there and saw all there was to see, I realized... I never (I mean never) would have seen any Mayan ruins if I hadn't been living here in Honduras.  It just made me think about the blessing of being here.  We did the whole trip for around the equivalent of $150 (that's a dollar sign ;-).  Which was a little much... but when you think about the experience... it was well worth it.  There was $30-35 for a bus ticket both ways and then $6 a person per night at the hostel we stayed at (which was SWEET).  The meals (even the most expensive) were always less than $5.  Actually, the most expensive thing was the park and museum entrance fees.  It was really interesting, although it reminded me a lot of Space and Rocket center in this way: once was more than enough.  We also paid for a guide, which was well worth it... otherwise we would have walked around without a clue.  The museum was good, but not nearly as informative as it could have been.  Then again, maybe they just don't know all that much about the Mayans.  Even so... it seems that when you have a HUGE museum that I can walk through in about two and a half hours and still have time to read every plaque thoroughly... it's sort of lacking something.  ;-)  But it really was great.

The current day Copan was a beautiful small town with tons of things to offer, and one of the days we went horseback riding for 3-4 hours.  It was pretty sweet.  I liked it until the end when we started to "canter" and I had the acute realization that there were a thousand problems with my saddle and started to wonder if I would ever have kids.  I was in pain.  Ha...  But the sights were wonderful!  This is such a beautiful country, Mom!  I wish I could spend more time enjoying it.

We rode the bus up there and back.  It was like a really nice Greyhound service, but it took a long time.  The trip was around 7 hours.  It would have been nice to make the drive ourselves, but we're not allowed to take the car very far outside of the city.  (It's a good and reasonable rule.)

Later yall!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, do we get to see pictures?

Anonymous said...

Ditto that, when will pictures be put out?

Anonymous said...

Pic-tures, stomp, stomp,
Pic-tures, stomp, stomp,
Pic-tures, pic-tures, pic-tures!!

Anonymous said...

watch out Jason, the natives are getting restless...you better start coughing up some pictures!