Yesterday, I had my first club meeting, and it was a whole lot more disorganized than I wanted it to be. I got discouraged because it seemed like my students weren't taking it seriously and that they were just there because they wanted to do something extra after class and hang out with their friends. In all honesty, that's a perfectly good reason to be involved... so long as they respect the others around them and are orderly and not overly talkative.
But halfway through, during the 10 min break they voted on (getting them to vote is like pulling teeth!)... I got alone with God and reminded both of Us that He put me here and that I knew (or know) this was something He wanted me to do, and that I can't do it without his strength and Wisdom! Well, fortuneately after the break we were able to elect the majority (if not all) of the student leaders that I felt the club needed. And, as soon as that was over, I dismissed the club so that I could meet with my "Executive commitee" for the first time and explain their duties to them.
As discouraged as I was after the first full club meeting... I was triply more pumped and excited during our short Exc. meeting! Things went so well, and I was more than reasured that there were students who wanted this to be something productive as well. I feel like the student leaders that I have are both responsible and excited about starting this new club... and even better than that: they were just as frustrated with the lack of discipline as I was. This of course will be fixed very shortly. ;-)
I must admit however, out of all the elected officers I have I exercised "veto power" on one: my secretary. I don't think my club quite understood how important the secretary position is going to be (I have no doubt that it will actually be more important to me than the president)... so after the voted, I didn't allow them to see the results and told them that we would go on to voting on Tresurer. Afterwards, I picked my own Secretary. Probably my smartest move yesterday, right next to actually having an exc. meeting.
Disapointment has been turned back into excitement... Now... if I can just feed that excitement into all my classes... ;-)
2 comments:
I'm glad you got through your first music club meeting. Way to go! Putting everything into perspective is very important. It is all up to God to lead and direct you. Keep plugging away. I was reminded yesterday that the rough times are only bringing you to another level in your walk with God. Just make sure it is upward!
Yeah! You said it. Thanks mom.
Post a Comment