I didn't get much sleep last night, but that was because we had a concert with the National Choir. It was at a new place for me. It was downtown in an old, but beautiful theatre. I just wanted to eat it up. It was a fairly small theatre as far as theatres go, but it was so beautiful. The concert was in honor of the European Union's 50 anniversary. It was by invitation only (Europeans, but mostly Germans) and was joint paid for by the European Union and Germany. And for those of you who don't know: the "international" anthem of the EU is the chorus from Beethoven's 9th, Ode to Joy. I found that very interesting on so many levels. There was yet another immaculate reception that followed where the expensive orderves lined endless platters and the Coke, Sprite, and red and white wine flowed freely. I told Milton (my student who was there) that they must have paid at least $20 a head for all that food. He kept wanting to have a glass of wine just to try it. I told him that I wanted to as well since I'd never had any, but that we had both signed saying we wouldn't. I think he ended up taking a sip from someone else's glass, but I didn't actually see it...
Where else can a regular old guy go and hang out with dignitaries and diplomats and ambassadors of all kinds? It was amazing! It's really a lot of fun being a part of the high life every once in a while. But it was sort of odd thinking that even though this theatre has been in Tegus for more than 90 years, probably VERY few Hondurans or even Tegucians have ever even seen it on the inside. Music really is something for the "upperclass" here. I wish that were different. I would really like to change that, but it won't happen overnight and it definitely won't happen unless Hondurans want it too.
No comments:
Post a Comment