Sunday, March 18, 2007

My new pet Parrot!!!

So Check out my new pet parrot!!!

This dude is so sweet. Based on advice from Cleo, the cleaning lady, it's going to be called Fransisco, (or Fco short, except that the "co" is supposed to be written in superscript like the "st" in 1st cause that's how they do that name down here).

He's quite the little bird. I still have no clue whether it's a male or a female and I keep getting weird advice to that end. Apparently the girls are the only ones that talk. (No comment)

He hasn't said anything yet, but he's still pretty young. If you are able to take a closer look at him or look at him in the sunlight, you can see that he's got some red and blue on his forhead as well as some deep blue on his wings when he unfurls them.

If anyone knows much about parrots, I'd be glad for the advice. At the moment I've found that his favorite food is chips. I have yet to get him turned on to hot sauce, but mark my words... he'll like it. I've heard that birds aren't affected by capsican (the stuff that make hot food hot). We'll see.

I believe he is less than a year old (maybe less than a few months), and thereby still not fully grown. I'm almost completely sure that he's an Amazon Parrot (more of a family than a species). And as far as I can tell beyond that (from pictures on Wikipedia) I think he might be a Puerto Rican Parrot. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about this kind of Parrot:

"The species is the only remaining native parrot in United States territory and one of the 10 most endangered bird species in the world. Conservation efforts were started in 1968 to save this species from likely extinction. As of 2006 the total wild population is estimated at 44 individuals."

Now obviously if my is Puerto Rican, he wouldn't be one of those 44... but Brian (who's really quite a scaredy-cat when it comes to Fco) believes that the only logical choice right now is to offer it to a zoo or aviary somewhere. It's a good thing there aren't any real close, or I think Brian might just go ahead and take the initiative himself. Ha.

One of his wings is already clipped, but it really takes all the beautiful colors out when you do that. I hope he molts soon after he desides that my fingers aren't the boogy man.

Oh by the way... I only paid $12.50 for the bird and his cage. ;-) I'm sure my mom will be proud since parrots in the states are much closer to the $200-400 price range. :-D

I'm happy.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

he's so pretty! Are you gonna be able to bring him/her stateside with you?

Unknown said...

not any more :-(