If you haven't already, you should check out the video of the choir at our first practice.
I'm excited. We had around 70-80 for our first practice and Randdy says we actually have close to 100 signed up.
It's a good choir. I was worried that they would be beyond me, but I feel we are well matched. They are a little green and truth be told, so am I. We are working on some easier rounds and such. It was a good choice since many of them don't read music and a lot of our learning is by rote. On the other hand, I do encourage them to look at the music and I explained the very basics of music reading to them (when the ball goes up, the pitch should follow it, etc.).
~
The amazing high of this 2 hour rehearsal was preceded by another emotional moment in my life: a straightforward, sincere, and introspective discussion with John, the missionary with many hats who is involved with administration at the national Bible college. I was extremely honored because he spent a little time before our meeting reading my blog. Seriously! It made me feel like I was really worth his time. I'm humbled.
Speaking of which, as a side note, I learned last night at the rehearsal I have gained at least one Tica (Costa Rican) reader. Bewteen her and John I can now say my blog has international readership! ;)
But, back to the conversation. The talk with John seemed to point in the direction of me working as an MA with him (or Josh) and Randdy. This would lead to possibly helping them firm up the "specialty" they've been working on. The Bible college offers specialties instead of Costa Rican accredited degrees (even though they ARE accredited by the A/G). Furthermore, from what I understand John and Randdy are looking at combining World Alive Music with the Bible college so that both are more credible.
This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for--for the last 7 years!--and have only really passively dreamed about because I didn't see it being a real possibility. Not because with God all things are almost possible (of COURSE that's not true!), but rather because I understand that something like this would take many people to work on and it's not something ANYONE does alone. It requires administration that's already primed for the idea, and a school of music that is run with excellence. I have no talent in teaching piano, guitar, voice, etc. at the college level. My gifting are in Choir and a little in administration (which at the moment is little more than a raw, untrained, un-honed skill). Truly this is what I've been hoping for.
I know that this won't be easy. Although I haven't experienced the difficulty of the work necessary to truly start a choir program at the college level, thanks to my wealth of friends in Jasper, TN I have experienced the difficulties of beginning a choir program. God has prepared me for this. He has trained me. But to use teacher terminology, I still have much formative assessment ahead of me. Think "on the job training" because I believe that's what God's in the business of doing. He trains you while you work. You're never fully prepared for a job... that would mean you could do it on your own. Wouldn't that rob Him of the miracle of accomplishment? I think so.
~
PS-
Why MA and not fully appointed Missionary? I'm not entirely sure, but the short answer is "because it's complicated." I'll know more as I walk through this, but it seems MA is the natural next step unless I was already a credentialed minister with the A/G.
1 comment:
More videos!!!!!!! :)
Post a Comment