~ continued from "Prayer" part 1 ~
Sorry... I have no amazing conclusion to today's previous post. This is simply something I've begun to realize more and more lately. I'm beginning to realize that all these amazing promises we so often hold onto (like the ones discussed in the last post) come with a HUGE caveat. It's something that we frequently look over--if not completely ignore. These promises only hold true if we are in God's will.
That neat little phrase we tag onto the end of every prayer in Christendom... you know the one that helps us know the prayer is over and that signifies to all the daydreamers that they should come back to earth now. It actually means something. "In Jesus' name" should mean that what we're asking for is actually in the will of God. I would go a step further and say that if what we're praying for is not in God's will.... then in reality we're using His name in vain. I would dare say this is a much more sad and even hurtful thing to God then the two phrases Christians most often get upset about in popular culture: the careless use of the phrase "Oh my God" in a movie, or even the phrase GD (although even I'm not going to say that one).
Since that's an incredible claim, let me back it up. When I was growing up, I began to realize I had a lot of power over my younger siblings when I said "because Mom [or Dad] said so." Some of you already see where I'm going with this. Greg and Stacey were pretty smart though and eventually realized that I wasn't always telling the truth. I could embellish this story, but I think I've made my point.
Many of us have lost the power of our prayer for the simple reason that we are lying when we pray. We are vainly using the name of the Risen Christ. We are boldly declaring to spiritual brothers and sisters, to God and Satan that what we are asking of God is actually His will. The sad reality is that we haven't spent the time to find out what God's specific will is. We haven't sought His face. We are lying and we couldn't care less. We are lying during our prayer!
Truth be told, old habits die hard and I still use this phrase regularly. Much to my own chagrin. But, I have committed to God to change. Not necessarily to stop saying it, but rather to mean it when I do and to not say it if I'm praying for something which I'm not sure God wants. And I think this is very important.
Why is it important? It's important because I want my prayers to be powerful like Jesus', or like Elijah's who James points out "was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years." I want my prayers to be "powerful and effective," rather than limp and lifeless. I want God to be impressed with my prayers in the same way a parent might be impressed with how quickly their child is learning.
~ to be continued ~
2 comments:
*clears throat* lier!
haha ;)
tru dat yo
Post a Comment