Perhaps the most exciting of all is the concert that's coming up on the 29th at 6pm here at Unanime in Zapote.* Good news and bad: the concert will cost 3,000 Colones, which makes it both relatively expensive, AND the first concert I've ever conducted with a ticket price. Not bad, all told.
For experienced choristers in the US (and for those here in CR) I should be honest and tell you that this is a beginning choir. We've spent a great deal of time working on things like choral blend, basic (and I mean BASIC) sight reading, holding your own part against others, dynamics, energy, and other basic musicality. I am proud of how far they've come, especially with only 5 practices thus far and only 2 more before our dress rehearsal. The line up is as follows. Some of my previous singers might recognize a few songs...
- "When Jesus Wept" by William Billings
- 4 Canons by Mozart
- "Viva la Musica"
- "Dona Nobis Pacem"
- "Alleluia"
- "Rosen fra Fyn" (with other words)
- "Eres Tú Jesús, Dios Mío" by J.S. Bach
- This is "Wohl mir, daß ich Jesum habe" (otherwise known as Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring in English) from Bach's Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben
- ¡Oh Rostro Ensangrentado! by J.S. Bach
- This is a Spanish translation of "O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden" (otherwise known as O Sacred Head, Now Wounded in English) as harmonized by Bach in his St. Matthew's Passion.
I've already had plenty of opportunity to tie the actual meanings of the words to the faith which most of us in the Choir share. This is one of the main reasons I came, and I'm grateful that God has given me this opportunity. Even though there are other important (and more mundane) things that require my attention, this is what I'm most excited about.
Not all of the "other things" are pedantic. Some are also enjoyable. I've had a chance to work alongside the missions teams with children in lower class neighborhoods. I've enjoyed getting to know Josh and April and better understand their ministry here. Hopefully some of these ideas will even be useful to Chris when I return to USM. I've grown closer to God through the expanded time He has given me to draw closer to Him in prayer, Bible study, memorization, meditation, and worship. And I've also had a chance to get MUCH better with Spanish, although I need so much more practice and training. I praise God for all of it.
Less than 2 weeks left!!!
~
* Unanime is the name of the Evangelical church where the World Alive Music offices are located, and Zapote is the name for a specific neighborhood in San Jose. Here are some directions if any of my state-side friends would like to come (or if you'd just like to see a satellite photo of the church).
~ ~ ~
Prayer request:
If you are available, would you pray with me daily from Monday the 22nd to Friday the 26th? I'm praying that God will remove any and all barriers between me and His call on my life to serve Him on the mission field. Some of these barriers include:
- Personal barriers
- pray for spiritual readiness
- emotional readiness
- Administrative barriers
- red-tape removed
- favor with my spiritual authorities
- knowledge and wisdom on their part to know where I should be
- a willing, submissive, and obedient heart on my part
- Financial barriers
- selling my house in TN
- raising the monthly budget that will be set for me
- Any other barrier you or I think of.
- And... those barriers that I won't see until they come up (or don't come up).
Thanks so much for all your help!
No comments:
Post a Comment