So if you look up Costa Rica on the Internet, you'll probably find someone mentioning it's status as the "Switzerland of Latin America." After just a few days, I'm inclined to agree.
For starters they don't have a standing military force and they tend to stay neutral while other countries quickly take sides. Today they entertained the President of China (at least I'm pretty sure that's what happened), and I hear they have treaties with many sides of the political spectrum.
Second, I've seen MANY exercisers every day I've been here and at all hours of the day. Mainly bicyclists and runners (and not just for transportation), both of which wouldn't have dared to happen in Honduras. Honduras is a little bit more... insecure.
Thirdly, THEY HAVE A TRAIN SYSTEM!!!!! And it doesn't just run in town! What other country in this entire hemisphere has an inter-province train system that actually gets good use??? Maybe Argentina, but I don't know. Does Canada's Amtrak counterpart actually see a steady flow of passengers? I don't know. Nevertheless, I'm extremely impressed by this and I can't wait to take a trip with my new friend Joey as far as it will take us and then explore the town. I hear it will eventually go from the East to the West coast (note... the coasts here are not on the North and South like they were in Honduras). Sadly though, it's not finished yet. They are slowly changing the old banana rail to newer, smaller gage passenger rail lines. I'm impressed.
Today we (me and the team that's here from Josh's father-in-law's church in Minnesota) went to a small school. We attended their chapel service and it was a great experience. There was a song from Hillsong called "Tomalo" in Spanish. You may recognize it. I first heard it in Honduras and I very much missed the Latin's way of singing it. I was barely able to hold back the tears.
I feel so strongly that I belong here. I don't know if what I want to do would deserve the term "missionary." I pretty much just want to do the same thing I was doing... just in Latin America. Actually I've been thinking a lot about the word "missionary" lately. Shouldn't everyone be a missionary? Maybe that weakens the original purpose of the word; I don't know. I do know that everyone is called to do the work of a missionary even if they aren't away from their home country. I don't know. I've had a few conversations about this with friends, but I really look forward to talking about it with people who consider themselves missionaries and with some who are called to work that others would consider missionary work as well.
~
On a separate note, tomorrow I will be going to my first choir practice here with Edwin (my host brother). I will be meeting Prof. Carmen in person for the first time. Your prayers are welcome. This is the reason I came, so I hope it goes well and that there are many new opportunities that open up from this.

No comments:
Post a Comment