Friday, June 07, 2013

Choirs this side of the Caribean

I don't know what I really expected when I came here to hear the choirs, but whatever it was, my expectations were INCREDIBLY low.

It seems like everytime we have "Latin" music in the states, its always simplistic.  Put another way, I don't believe I've ever encountered a song with Spanish lyrics that was very rhythmic difficult.  Even the Spanish wasn't too much outside of the normal Latin or Italian difficulty.  But let me assure you... these songs exist!  I heard stuff last night that was rhythmicly difficult, but also extremely complex.  And almost everything was fast. I was on the front of my seat the entire dress rehearsal.  I enjoyed this mini-concert just as much as I enjoyed my first chance to hear Chanticlear live (I hope my chorale friends will forgive me for saying so).  In short... I was flat out amazed.

The music was a good mix of Latin America, not just Costa Rica.  What's more is that my host assured me that there were choirs in Cuba that were even better.  I'm amazed; both at the music, and at the number of well trained choirs to sing them.

Well, sadly I need to go.  The Honduras vs. Costa Rica game is happening even as I speak.  I don't know who to cheer for, but I won't be forgiven if I don't watch it.  I told my Honduran friend how much trouble I'd have making up my mind.  They thought it should be easy to choose...choose Honduras!  Yeah... but I'm going to be surrounded by Ticos and I don't want to die at the hands of my friends!

I also got to hear this one live... it was so much more difficult than it sounds.  I couldn't even keep up with where we were in the music.

No comments: