Just a few things I have to be thankful for this year:
Scholastically:
Spiritually:
- I had an entire YEAR's worth of free doctoral level classes at a school of music with high standards: a $14,448 value!!!!
- I got paid a stipend.
- I've learned how a choir can use a tuning fork instead of a piano. HUGE.
- I've built relationships with colleagues and with Dr. Gregory Fuller which will no doubt last a lifetime.
- These same relationships will provide me with first-class recommendations.
Missions:
- I've had the opportunity to meet Matt McMurrin's parents who were the first I've ever heard of who essentially have the job that I want: musical missionary.
- Matt himself has provided me with encouragement and great wisdom about future plans.
- Karis Tucker and her parents have also been role models to me in this area. Before coming, I didn't know ANYONE who had EVER considered being a musical missionary. Now I know two separate families!
- Ken, Karis's dad is our main contact point as I travel with Chorale to Romania. Not only do I get to network with him, but I will also get a little on-the-job observations. SWEET!
- If I hadn't come to USM, I would have never met Dr. Alvarez or had the opportunity to go to Costa Rica this summer! This is something that I've tried to work out on my own for the last three or more years and only by coming here has that door opened up!!!!
- I enjoyed participating in worship at a church of the denomination of my youth.
- I met an awesome, 9-member family which is "living on faith" and submitting to God's leadership in ways most people don't even ask about...
- Debbie Harper (the mom of that family) is also earning her doctorate and provided me with a WEALTH of information on the relationship between God, career, and family.
- I had amazing interactions with USM Chi Alpha and especially Chris Buckle who has helped me grow spiritually in areas of my life that have shows zero growth before.
In short... I have NO doubt that this has been one of the best years of my life and the most blessing-filled as well!!!!
Post Script...
Please don't feel sad if I forgot and left you off the list.
Once, during my 6th grade math class, I was really excited about school and life and starting being thankful out loud. "My english teacher is the bomb because... and my social studies teacher is awesome because... and my math teacher..."
It was at that moment my mind went completely blank to my utter embarrassment. As I went to my next class, my friends were telling me that Mrs. Green was in tears! Now might be an appropriate time to mention that she was also pregnant....
All that said. Just because I didn't mention you here doesn't mean I'm not thankful for you, too. My brain is just only so big.... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment