Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Fall 2013

Friends and Family,

I'm not sure whether to tell you that I have good news or bad news.  On the surface this appears to be bad news, but on the other hand I honestly believe that anytime my "normal" is shaken up I feel closer to God.

The bad news is that I won't be returning to Hattiesburg as a Doctoral student in the Fall.  I did not pass my second Qualification Exam and my appeal for a third chance was denied.

First of all, as of yet this does not definitively mean that I will no longer be enrolled at USM.  Depending on policy and what doors open up this summer, I might pursue a Masters degree in Choral Conducting since my current Masters is in Music Education.

Secondly, an even more exciting option has opened up (at least within the confines of my mind :) and that is the thought of teaching in Latin America before earning a doctoral degree.  As you know I will be spending June and July in Costa Rica at the University of Costa Rica with the School of Music and with Josh Amiot on a MAPS missions trip.  I have maintained all along that this will be a priceless opportunity for me to network with Latin America choral directors and possibly to find a job somewhere in the tropics.  This would be an AMAZING opportunity if it opens up.

But as always... God's will be done.  I have absolutely no doubt that His hand is in this, and for that reason I am content--even in my disappointment--to know that He still is and will always be in charge.

All that said, I would greatly appreciate your prayers as I move forward and make decision about the coming year.  I am glad there are so many decisions to be made and eager to follow Gods will as I make them.

Yours,
Jason

--
Jason Scott Vawter

No comments: