Tuesday, March 05, 2013

2013 Costa Rica Missions Letter


Jason Scott Vawter

Cell 256-585-4257
Chi Alpha Southern Miss
118 College Dr. #8136
Hattiesburg, MS. 39406

Dear friends and family,

In case you don't know, my deepest desire is to serve God by leading, teaching and directing choirs on the collegiate level in Latin America.  A little more than a year ago I felt God telling me this wasn't just my desire, but also His desire for me. More plainly said: I believe God has called me to this.

The Here and Now
Here at the University of Southern Mississippi (USM) God has blessed me with an assistantship that allows me to get a very high value doctoral education for free. In fact, I am very excited to now be working on my first choral recital with collegiate singers (April 18th and 21st if you're interested in coming!).  In a little more than 2 years from now this will culminate with me having the credentials most stateside colleges require of their professors. More importantly, I have started serving God at the collegiate level with Chi Alpha (XA) Christian Fellowship. Chris Buckel--the XA missionary here--has invited me to join him on staff as he, his wife, and two other missionary associates pioneer the ministry at USM.  All of this has been such a blessing to me!  It offers almost everything I’m called to; all that’s missing is... Latin America.

An Opportunity to Serve
Through some digging, I have found a summer opportunity from May 28th to August 1st at the University of Costa Rica (UCR) for me to work under Josh Amiot, UCR's XA missionary there as well as spend time in the rehearsal room with Beverlyn Mora, the Choral Professor at UCR’s relatively large School of Music.  In all this experience will cost $2500 for more than two months worth of meals, lodging, learning Spanish, networking with Latin American music professors, and serving God in an established XA program that spans many branches of UCR.  Many two week missions trips cost just as much or more!

My Request
Although this is an incredible opportunity, it is right now outside of my ability to fund as a typical, poor graduate student.  Would you consider helping me get there?  Even the smallest amount will be sincerely appreciated. With the help of Chris and Josh, I have done the necessary paperwork to make this trip an official MAPS missions trip with the Assemblies of God World Missions.  This allows any donations to be tax deductible and more importantly provides me with the accountability and spiritual covering that I will need.

To Conclude
Thank you so much for reading this letter and for considering to support me as I both serve God in Latin America now AND prepare and train to be a more effective missionary in the future.  This opportunity is a blessing that I believe God Himself has orchestrated, and I am eager to see what wonderful things He has for me learn and do this summer!

Ever so gratefully,
Jason Scott Vawter


If you are able and willing to send financial support, checks can be made payable to Chi Alpha (put “Costa Rica” in the memo line) and mailed to the address above. You can also donate online through XAUSM’s website. Your donation is 100% tax-deductible and you will receive a giving receipt from Chi Alpha Southern Miss in early January 2014, unless requested sooner. If you have any questions, please text or give me a call!

No comments: