I figured that heading would be better at getting your attention. ;-)
Anyway, I'm thinking about the comming summer and what things it might hold. Right now I'm hoping to stay here for language school. The only question is where this is going to happen (In Tegus, on the coast, or in Costa Rica).
Right now the most likely option is for me to stay here in Tegus and go to a language school somewhere in town for 4 hours a day. Also I might be taking classes with a lady here at school who teaches Peace Corp "troops". She's really good, but she usually makes $20 an hour during her holidays through that program. That's perfectly normal on a US salary, but it's crushing on a Honduran salary like mine. (I make around $3-4 an hour and that's considered a great paycheck here).
But this would still be the best for a lot of reasons, the main reason is because I would also be helping out here at the school ands still getting paid (plus have housing). I would be helping out with administrative type duties, namely scheduling and who knows... maybe even screening new-student candidates. That would make me extremely happy. I know I'm very young and inexperienced, but I like helping out with the more administrative duties.
I've noticed that I'm not as much of a teacher as I thought I was. I'm definitely, and without a doubt, made for choirs and to be a choir director, but that's vastly different from teaching in a classroom type of environment. Especially when I have to make up the curriculum myself. That's tough. But the planning and dreaming and other things that go along with the administrative side of things are right up my ally. I don't know exactly how much I'll be allowed to be involved in all this, but I definitely want to get involved as much as possible.
Things with the Philharmonic Chorus are also going well. Guess what happened in practice yesterday! Never mind, you'd never guess even if I gave you 20 chances. I led the rehearsal for about 1 hour and thirty minutes. Now that's a lot "huger" than you might think... I mean, even if the chorus isn't as great as some of the ones that I've been a part of in college, it's still a huge thing because I don't know Spanish barely at all. So even though at this point in my Spanish career I should be in the depressing stages of making a huge fool of myself... I've still been given honor and respect. It's more kindness than I could bear. And it sure was fun.
Well, I need to go now,
--
Jason Scott Vawter
10 comments:
Whats this I hear about you being a woman???
no comprendo
you are silly!!! AND YOU ARE COMING HOME SOON!!!! just to see me!!! I'm so excited.
:-D
NO, you're coming home just to see me!!
Wow! What an experience getting to lead rehearsal!
AS USUAL, I won't get to meet you at the airport, but I will see you on Friday. A special guest (I know there are many special guests coming but this one is very special) is coming your way for graduation. I won't say any more about that until you get to see for yourself.
Oh, Boy, your summer plans do sound great.
Can't wait until you get to see me!!
If you do stay the summer to work will you at least get to come home for a little visit?
At the moment, I doubt it... cost prohibitive. You know how those things are.
;-)
Are you coming to Huntsville over Christmas? If so, would you have a little bit of time to spare an old friend? I would love to hear more about your school and your kids and everything, if your family would be willing to spare you for a little bit.
We might be able to work something out depending on what my family has planned (they get first dibs). When are you going to be in town?
I understand the family getting first dibs. That's the way it is with my family when I'm gone for a long time.
I'll be in town starting on Thursday (12-14), and I'm staying through the first week of the year.
Post a Comment