Friday, June 06, 2014

A Gay Parable

Here's an "outrageous" article for Christians to ponder.  Click the link if you care to read the whole thing.  But if you haven't heard this parable, please take time to read the rest of my post.  I got it from a wonderful sister-in-law.

Colorado Baker Forced to Make Wedding Cakes for Gay Couples


The Gay Parable


That article illustrates one half of that parable.  The baker that doesn't want to participate in a ceremony that goes against his beliefs... ending in a lawsuit or worse.  He feels justified in his outrage; his personal beliefs are being deeply violated.

But the other half is another Christian baker who once he finds out the cake is for a gay couple, continues as planned with the cake and on delivery gives them a note that reads similarly to this:

"Your cake is free.  You may or may not have realized it, but I believe a life of homosexuality goes against the happiness God has planned for all of us.  That said, I want you to know that this cake is not a picture of my agreement with your marriage, but rather a picture of my deep love for both of you.  My desire is for that love to be an accurate representation of God's love for you and me; He loves us long before we ever make it to perfection.  I hope you enjoy the cake and I pray that God will show you grace, peace, and deep love in your life as he has already shown me."

My belief is the second of the two bakers is a better picture of God's love than the piousness of the first.  While the first baker was well within his rights of free speech as an American, I don't believe he was acting in a spirit of servanthood or Christ-likeness.

No comments: