Thursday, May 08, 2014

Change: it's such a loaded word

Change is change.

It's neither good nor bad.  One can change for the better just as much as they can change for the worse.

Change usually comes with a price.  Sometimes it's very difficult and sometimes its difficulties are small and insignificant; but it always costs something.  Even when the cost is well worth the reward.

Recently, I've experienced a good deal of change.  I've moved from Tennessee to Oklahoma; from hills to flat; and, from a large house to a trailer. By the way, I love my Airstream!

I've also changed from being a grad-student and high school teacher to full time ministry in Music and Youth.  I've changed from working at a Baptist church (a quick shout out to all my Dwight friends I miss so dearly!) to a return to my first denomination of employment: the United Methodist Church.

Thankfully, I have been welcomed with arms wide open here in Miami.  The people of First UMC have bent over backwards to pave my path here.  I've had meals bought for me and helping hands right when I've needed them.  The staff here has also warmly welcomed me by helping get me settled and accustomed to my new work.  They've also gladly picked up my slack as I learn the new ropes!  I couldn't have asked for a kinder set of people.

~

Another thing about change: living things have to change.  Something simply cannot stay the same and stay alive.  So... in that since: it's good to change.  We just have to make sure we're changing for the better.

I pray that in my walk with God and in my leadership of those who I have the responsibility to shepherd I will continue to change and to engender change.  And I pray that the measure of that change will keep step with the Holy Spirit and His work in my life and not with my own ability to "seek and destroy" those things which I think need to be changed.  God guide me!  I need You as I make these changes and as I grow and stretch according to the ways You show me.


No comments: